Friday, July 25, 2008

Odds & Ends

Here are some photos I took in the last couple of months that never made it into a post. Consider this just a little cleanup.

First, eating. My favorite place downtown to get a quick lunch is Eileen's on Caroline Street. They always have creative sandwiches and salads:



And right next door is the Java Connection, where we've been buying our coffee beans pretty much our entire adult lives. They've downsized in recent years, but they still have our favorite coffees, and some great T-shirts and gift-y things, too:



Here's a recent lunch we had at the incredibly tiny Here and Abroad Bistro and Bakery, tucked behind Hyperion. The place seats no more than a dozen people, with a tiny courtyard for a few more.






Have you been to any of the Bluemont concerts this summer? Here's the schedule, and a photo of L'Angelus, a great Cajun family band, who played on July 12:



Don't forget Music on the Library Steps every Monday night. Here's Laurie Rose Griffith and Peter Mealy playing on July 7. I love this duo, and catch them often. Laurie reminds me of Judy Collins.



Here's the fountain in front of the library, ringed with roses. I rarely buy books, but use the library constantly, and support them by running up substantial fines. It's the least I could do.



Random shot of the Confederate Cemetery on Washington Avenue:



Tim's Mart is a huge store that sells menswear and wigs, but I never see any customers in there. How do they stay in business, with Caroline Street rents as high as they are? It's a mystery to me.

No comments: