Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Fourté at The Griffin Bookshop


On Sunday afternoon, we went down to The Griffin Bookshop & Coffee Bar to hear Fourté perform. I found this description in the newspaper's calendar of events: "Fourté performs a fun loving concert ranging from jazz and swing to barbershop and classical. It’s a capella harmony with a twist of humor." The four women are friends of mine, so I admit I'm not even the slightest bit impartial. In fact, you could really call me a groupie. I've attended almost every public performance they've had since they started a couple of years ago. And if they make it big and go on tour, they might even promote me to roadie. Their three sets covered much of their repertoire, including my personal favorites, "Route 66," "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," and their signature song, "Java Jive," which was the first I ever heard them perform.

The Griffin is a combination new & used bookstore, coffee shop, reading room, and occasional music venue. If a dozen people were listening to the music, it would be crowded. They are the new guy in town, both bookwise and coffeewise, and don't get as much traffic as the more established Riverby Books and Hyperion Espresso, but as the ladies in Fourte say, you gotta support the businesses that support local music. So go down and check them out. I highly recommend the chocolate chip scones.

No comments: