Tuesday, February 26, 2008

UMW Chorus Concert

On Sunday night, we opted for a college chorus concert over the Oscars on TV, and headed to Mary Washington with friends for the “Lighter Side” concert. The program, which lasted less than an hour, featured the UMW Chorus (where were the men?), the UMW Women’s Chamber Choir, and the Fredericksburg Singers, which includes college students and members of the community. The concert was scheduled to start at 7:30, but the unadvertised “pre-concert selections” started at 7. Why does the Music Dept. do that? If I knew there would be a pre-concert concert, I would have been there at 7. Is that concert just for college insiders? Luckily (or I would have pitched a fit) we got there in time to hear one of my favorite local singers, Daryl Ott. Daryl is a talented pianist, but it’s his resounding baritone and wonderful stage presence that I love. He sang “Mister Cellophane” from Chicago, to close the pre-show show. The choruses took the stage next, all directed by Jane Tavernier, and they did a fine job, as always. No vocal fireworks (I guess I have to wait for the “Heavy Side” for that), but a pleasant evening out all around.

The UMW Music Dept. has a full slate of spring concerts, and for about the tenth time, click here for the schedule.

And just because I feel compelled to take a photo for every post, here's a blurry shot of the Chamber Choir:

The photo at the top is of the college's new bell tower, which I only seem to pass in the dark. One of these days, I'll get there during the day for a decent shot.

No comments: