Saturday, April 12, 2008

Motts Run Hike


This morning, we took advantage of the beautiful weather to do some hiking at Motts Run Reservoir. This time of the year is perfect for hiking: signs of spring are budding all along the trail, but it’s too early for the underbrush and bugs that will start to grab at you later on. We took the medium length Hidden Creek Trail, a 1.5 mile loop that takes about 45 minutes, and includes some pretty steep areas. There are other trails as well, from the .4 mile Laurel Trail to the 2.6 mile Mine Run Trail. Motts Run is a very peaceful place to be. You can rent canoes or jon boats, and although electric motors are allowed, most of the people there are fishing, so noise is at a real minimum. (If you’re into fishing, you might be interested in this blog.) There’s a nature center and several picnic areas, and we’ve had church get-togethers there in the past that have been a big hit with the kids. It’s a serene getaway just a short drive from home.

I guess this was the "Hidden Creek." I realize photos can't really do this trail (or any other forest setting) justice, and this looks like a flat brown mush. I feel compelled to snap away nonetheless.

The "big tree burl," one of the trail's landmarks:

As I always say, I like the flora better than the fauna. (I know, I know, it's a harmless black snake. Still don't like it.)

No comments: