Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Classic Car Show

A couple of weekends ago, we stopped by the annual meet of the Fredericksburg Antique Automobile Club, held down by the Visitor Center. It seems like vintage cars are big around here, and we enjoy checking them out whenever we come across a show. Even if you’re not a classic car buff, it’s always fun to take the trip down memory lane. Anyone over the age of about 40 is likely to find cars from their childhood.

The first family car I can remember looked something like this one from the 1950's, except ours was white and orange:

This is just like my first car, a VW Beetle I purchased when I was about 20. It's from the early 1970's (I have to admit I hate thinking of this one as an "antique"):

I liked this one because of the prop tray of food at the window:

I haven't seen many commercial vehicles at the shows I've been to. This truck, from the 1920's, was owned by the Hilldrup Company, founded in 1903 and still operating today as Hilldrup Moving & Storage.

This is one of my favorites, the Mini Cooper. I don't think it's changed that much over the years:


If you want to check out a few classic cars yourself, you can head over to the Fredericksburg Classic & Muscle Car Club’s “Cruise-In” every Friday night from 6-9:30 pm during the summer (weather permitting) in the parking lot of Virginia Barbeque, at the corner of Rt. 1 and Fall Hill Ave.

No comments: