Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Cookie Party

On Saturday, I went to my first-ever cookie exchange party. I’m not sure how I got to be 51 without ever having gone to one of these. I really don’t like to bake very much, and the task of baking 5 dozen cookies was pretty daunting, but the party was thrown by my favorite party-throwing women, so I couldn’t pass it up. Now, it would not be an exaggeration to say I baked for days. I tried 3 recipes before I found one that I thought was special enough for this event. The ones I ended up with are very average tasting, but they are decorative and colorful and dipped in chocolate, so I thought that would be enough of a distraction. My plan worked. They’re called acorns, and they really do look like acorns, especially if you dip them in nuts, like the recipe called for, instead of rainbow sprinkles, which is what I used just to make them flashier looking. Check out the recipe on this blog, and you can see the author’s nutty version.

And here’s the box I came home with--this, plus the blinking red nose I got for winning a party game. And by my math, cookies + red nose = festive holiday.

No comments: