Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hunting Run Park



We made our first visit to the park at Hunting Run Reservoir off of Ely’s Ford Road last week on a rare sunny day. I remember many years ago when some of the families who lived in that area were forced out of their homes to make way for the reservoir. It seems like it took a whole lot of years for the work to be completed. We visit Motts Run Reservoir pretty often, and have been to Ni River Reservoir a few times, too, so I was interested to see what this park had to offer. Right now, there is a fishing dock, a boat ramp and a few unshaded picnic tables. The lake is scenic and serene, perfect for fishing or canoeing or kayaking. I don’t own a canoe or kayak, and I’m not much for fishing. Here’s the thing about fishing: you need to be patient and quiet, and I’m neither. So I don’t imagine I’ll be spending much time at this park. But if you like fishing, the reservoir is 420 acres and is stocked with largemouth bass. Read more about it here.





Here's a view of the Hunting Run Dam from Spotswood Furnace Road. It's approximately 2,400 feet long and 90 feet high, in case you're interested in that sort of thing.

No comments: