Thursday, January 1, 2009

Peas on Earth



The southern tradition on New Year’s Day is to eat black-eyed peas for good luck and prosperity. Our church had an open house today for folks to stop by for a lunch of black-eyed peas with rice (put together, they make hoppin’ john), collard greens and cornbread. I have had very few encounters with black-eyed peas in my life, certainly not as a main dish like these were served, despite having lived in Virginia for over 30 years. And I never would have guessed I’d be a fan. But these were delicious, cooked with ham hocks into a tasty bean stew (vegetarian version also available, of course). It was a perfect afternoon, spent with good friends and simple food (special thanks to the cooks!), and although I’m not generally superstitious, I think it bodes well for the new year.

No comments: